OVER INDULGED OVER THE EASTER BREAK?
Try this app!
We hope you all had a wonderful Easter break! If you’re like me, you may feel like you have over indulged over the break, and it’s time to make some healthier food choices! I hear you.
Grocery shopping can be an overwhelming task with so many brand choices available at super markets.
Packaged foods are often surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules.
Well, grab your smartphone and head on over to the Play Store (Android Users) or App Store (Apple Users), and download the app Food Switch.
Developed by Bupa and The George Institute.
The app helps you find out what’s in the food you’re eating and can help you make simple switches to healthier choices when grocery shopping for you and your family.
HOW TO USE FOOD SWITCH
- Firstly, download the app from App Store (Apple devices) or PlayStore (Android Devices)
- Tap on the app icon to open it
- Select the product (If you’re not at the supermarket, grab an item from your kitchen that has a barcode) and hold the item with the barcode facing towards you. Hold your smart phone or tablet camera over the top of the barcode allowing the app to scan it
- The app will automatically detect the nutritional information for up to 90 percent of packaged products in most major Australian grocery stores
- The app will give you a list of similar foods that are healthier choices.
|I SCANNED A PACKET OF: OREO CHOCOLATE BISCUITS
I originally scanned a Lindt bunny, but the app couldn’t find it in the data base. When this happens you can help “improve the app” by submitting the food (and taking photos) for them.
The Foodswitch app contains other helpful tools:
Included in the Foodswitch app, it’s great tool if you’re watching your salt intake closely . This is especially handy if you’ve been diagnosed with, or have a family history of high blood pressure
Again, included in the Foodswitch app. This great tool will tell you if packaged food products contain gluten, and help you find similar foods that are gluten-free. This can help people living with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance to make better food choices.
Also included within the Foodswitch app are:
You simply click the small ‘funnel’ looking icon at the top right of your screen to switch between all the options You can also access a step by step tutorial by clicking the ?which is at the top right next to the funnel.