FILE AWAY IN BULK
Hoping to get digitally organised?
If you receive your telephone bill electronically, you may decide to file the bills in a folder named “Phone”.
However when you receive the bill, the name of the file could be long, and makes no sense!
Once you have 10 bills, you can’t tell which bill is for which month!
Let’s fix that.
You could rename each bill individually, however we are all about efficiency here. To rename all your phone bills in bulk neatly, try this:
1. With all your telephone bills filed in one folder, press ctrl + A on your keyboard to select all the files in one go
2. Using the mouse or keyboard trackpad, right click over the selected files, and select Rename from the drop-down menu
3. Type in the new name and press Enter on the keyboard
Windows will automatically rename the batch of files
For example, from Bill_AJ12032017 to Telstra_0001, Telstra_0002 and so on!
1. Have all your telephone bills in one folder
2. Press Command + A on your keyboard to select all the files in one go
3. Using your mouse or keyboard trackpad, right click over the selected files, and choose “Rename X items”
4. A “Rename Finder Items” tool appears, choose “Replace Text” from the dropdown menu
5. Change the text in the “Find” search to match the text you wish to replace, then change the text in the “Replace with” box to match what you would like the files to be renamed to
Example: I want to change anything beginning with Bill to be replaced with TelstraBill
This same principal applies if you want to rename a whole folder of photos in bulk!
GENERAL TIPS & TRICKS
1. It’s always easier to keep your files organised from the start! Try to get into some good habits such as naming and filing files as soon as you get them rather than doing them all at once.
2. Use folders: If you have a one folder for Bills then why not a folder in that folder to help keep them separate? That way you can easily differentiate your telephone bills from your electricity bills.
3. Use sensible names: If you name your electricity bill something like ‘EBM’ (short for Electricity Bill March) then in a couple weeks you might forget what EB stands for and then trying to find it will be a nightmare. Take an extra 30 seconds to ensure you have a clear and concise file name.